These two have transitioned from babies to kids over night! I mean really, they are three years old! They make decisions, have opinions and tell their own jokes! Funny ones, too! I guess they have caught on to my own side remarks and sarcasm, it looks like I need to dial that down a bit! And the sass, goodness! They have a retort for almost any request! I don’t even ask them questions any more, bedtime! Potty Time! Dinner time! I used to ask, Whose ready for dinner?! because I knew I would get a resounding cheer of excitement and immediate running to the kitchen. Now, they just say, “no, my/I fine!”
This stage has definitely been the most exhausting – they are getting into everything again. They open cabinet and closet doors, pull out clothes, buttons, shoes, etc. Ahem, get in the bath together with a strange array of toys and dump mommy’s bath soap all over each other (
that didn’t happen in real life. yes it did.) They turn all the lights on and off. Pull all the toilet paper off the roll and flush it! They turn on the tub and the sink and they come out soaking wet or whatever toys/books/findings around the house they decided to bathe! Tenley is obsessed with washing her hands and requests to do it at least 10 times a day. This is all in 10 seconds, they aren’t left alone that long!
They have become so independent! Caden always wants to climb into the car by himself, “No, my do it! my climb up. my too heavy!” They each want to put on their own clothes and their own shoes. They have gotten pretty accurate at putting the right shoes on the correct feet. Their pants or underwear are often backwards even though they know and reiterate, “tag in the back!”
They are maturing at lightning speed and I often find myself just staring at them! With the tough times comes a new level of joy and fun! Twin talk is almost completely gone, filled with loud sentences, lots of singing, constant talking, random counting, and shouting over each other! Their speech definitely has more structure and I can understand about 90% of what they say to us! It’s a lot less guessing and more answering their c.o.n.s.t.a.n.t questions or comments! Mommy! Mommy! MOMMY! Mommy, hear me?! Look [at] me! Listen [to] me! We also entered into the Why? Phase! Two months in and I already find myself thinking “because I said so!” even though I vowed I wouldn’t. I haven’t caved yet.
The emotional pendulum of toddler mood wings is very very wide! Their world is either crumbling down on top of them or they are running wild with screeches of delight! Both ends of the spectrum can and have been met within 2 minutes of each other! They test my patience daily and I have even impressed myself with how much I can take and how much I can tune out! I try so hard to keep a clear head and calm voice. Just the other day we were driving and Michael asked me if I heard Caden. I replied no after quickly snapping back into current time. Apparently he had said Mommy 4-5 times and I missed all of them! It can get very loud in the car and I am very good at tuning them out, especially if I am driving!
They love each other! I mean LOVE each other. They constantly want to know where the other one is. Tenley – “where’s bud?” or sometimes “you seen Canen?” “Seen brother?” Caden – “Teney!!” he just shouts for her and he has started calling her baby (I call him Bud and her Baby or sweetheart). Their empathy for each other is overwhelming and usually only extended toward one another. If I pretend to cry – they laugh at me. If one of them cries the other runs over to make sure they are okay. “You k, Teney?” “You okay! You fine!” he reassures her. Tenley offers to kiss Caden’s boo boos, “kiss?” and follows it up with “all better?” They constantly hug and hold hands. But just as they are close, they can be frenemies! It will go from loving each other to hitting, pushing and screaming and back to laughing and rolling around on the ground!
Weight – 29lbs
Clothing – Rocks a lot of 18 mo stuff still and 2T pants, usually. 3T is a no go. Size 7 shoes.
– Speech is great, he can communicate almost anything now! Stutters less and less
– Can count to 20, 9 out of 10 times. Counts anything, all the time! Sounds like his mama!
– Can correctly name all colors.
– Can pick out and name shapes, even in real life. “Mommy that’s circle!”
– Loves saying the alphabet, but can’t get through it by himself
– Has started singing songs and says movie lines before they happen!
– Loves movies and will almost sit through an entire movie. He always wants to watch Frozen, Toy Story or Baymax (Big Hero 6).
– Loves puzzles and is really good at them. Has some 12 pieces, real, puzzles that he can do with some guidance. Rocks and completes any and all of the puzzle pieces (matching photo) puzzles.
– Still very, very emotional. He whines a.l.o.t! A lot, a lot! We are working on that! He cries whenever he doesn’t get his way. He cries a lot! We are working on that, also! haha.
– He loves sleeping and the paci is gone!
– Will sing along with Frozen or say the line that is coming up before it is even said!
Weight – 29.2 lbs
Clothing – Wears 2T and recently just transitioned to some 3T stuff! Size 7 shoes.
– Speech is great, but sometimes so soft spoken that we have to constantly as her to speak up.
– Won’t even try to count or say alphabet with us. We aren’t pushing it. She refused to talk for a while and then just started talking in (toddler) full sentences. She’ll come around when she feels like it.
– So loving toward all her babies and stuffed animals. Loves feeding them and constantly puts them down for naps. Apparently that’s all we do with them is put them to bed or that’s at least what she takes out of each day.
– Likes movies, but will actually say no, “I want to play.”
– Loves going to daycare and playing with her friends. Will list them all off for me, at least once a week.
– Very bossy! Constantly tells me “Canen go to his room. he’s still crying.” “I not crying. I big girl.” “Canen, no hit, not nice!”
ex. I asked Michael, “Will you please empty the dishwasher?” He replied, “no, in a minute.” Tenley piped up and said, “no say no! You empty dishwasher!” Wow, my catchphrase is “you are not the mommy, I am and you do not make the rules. You do not tell daddy what to do!”
– Also a tattle tail, always lets us know when Caden hits her, scratches her, throws her toys (used to be paci – constantly), etc.
– Doesn’t like the dark and usually opens her door for “light to come in.”
– Constantly corrects me. “That not grandpa, that great grandpa!”
– Always asks about stuff, “this a cookie or no?” “we going to target or no?” Turns out, I say “or no” a lot!
– So rarely does she cry that when she does I crumble and can’t stand my ground. It breaks my heart! She cries maybe once a week, maybe!
– Loves helping mommy cook! And will sit at the kitchen counter and watch whatever I am doing.
I think the kids had a great birthday! Michael and I took off to spend the day with them. We started off at the doctor’s office for at their annual check up. No shots so I didn’t think it would be that bad. Like always, Caden was all for talking to the doctor, answering questions and letting him check his ears and eyes. Poor Tenley was held against her will and then was given her flu shot! But she survived and has a my little pony bandaid to prove it!
After the appt we headed to dunkin donuts, per their request, for breakfast. These kids minds are like traps, they have been here one time before and this is maybe their 4th time to have donuts, lol. They went right up to the same table we ate at just a few weeks ago.
At 10 we met their twin BFFs, Aubrey and Lily, at Mount Playmore for some fun and pizza! Thanks Tim for bringing them (we missed you Kelly)!! Mine were a little hesitant and would only go in if Michael and I were in there with them. Tenley and I went down a few slides, but she was always tentative. They preferred playing in the kiddie area and on the rides, that we wouldn’t pay for – ha! We had pizza for lunch and headed back for naps!
My parents came over for dinner, presents and cake that evening! Katie, Anthony and Cole stayed home with a bug! =( I asked the kids what they wanted for dinner, they could have anything and I listed a few items as suggestions. Tenley – ” A hot dog with applesauce. it’s my favorite!” and Caden chimed in with some “mac and cheese!” Okay, hot dogs it is! We finished the evening with delicious Hot Chocolate cupcakes from Target! They were so yummy! I was very impressed! Tenley played with her new baby doll, Caden played with his new dump trucks and then they got to stay up until 8pm and watch Cars because well, it was their Birthday! =) We had a great day!